12th of January Update: According to Adobe's recently updated Flash EOL page to help secure users’ systems, Adobe will block Flash content from running in Flash Player beginning January 12, 2021. That date is today.
As of today, trying to run any Flash content in Flash Player results in the following Flash content being shown instead, with a link towards Adobe's Flash EOL page.
Flash Player support will be discontinued by major browsers as follows:
- Adobe will stop distributing and updating Flash Player after December 31, 2020 (“EOL Date”). Adobe will be removing Flash Player download pages from its site and Flash-based content will be blocked from running in Adobe Flash Player after the EOL Date. As of mid-October 2020, users started being prompted by Adobe to uninstall Flash Player on their machines since Flash-based content will be blocked from running in Adobe Flash Player after the EOL Date. (source) .
- Safari 14 was released on the 16th of September 2020 and it removed Flash Player support (source)
- Chrome 88 - due on January 19, 2021 - will block Flash Player as "out of date" (source).
- Firefox 85 - due on January 26, 2021 - will ship without Flash Player support. Firefox version 84 will be the final version to support Flash Player (source).
- Microsoft is ending support for Adobe Flash Player on Microsoft Edge (both the new Microsoft Edge and Microsoft Edge Legacy) and Internet Explorer 11 at the end of 2020 . Edge 88 will remove Flash Player support entirely in January 2021 while IE 11 and Legacy Edge will keep their ability to run Flash Player until the Summer of 2021 (source).
So on one side, we have newer browsers removing support for Flash Player. On the other side, we have Adobe removing Flash Player download pages and actively prompting users to remove Flash Player so we can't rely on Flash Player support in older browsers.
As a result, we've taken the decision to remove the Flash Player based recording client from our platform starting with 1st of February 2021.
During the month of November, only 2.33% of the video recordings we processed came from the Flash based recorder.
Starting with the 1st of February, users of older browsers that do not support the newer HTML MediaStream Recording API (all IE versions, non Chromium Edge, Safari + very very old Chrome and Firefox versions) will see a message similar to what Safari 14 users see today: